The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic by Leigh Bardugo

In The Language of Thorn: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic by Leigh Bardugo, there are many short stories, most if not all of them including some form of fantasy or magic. One aspect I liked about this book, is that the beginning of each story started off with an image around the writing. As the stories progress, the images turn into a sort of frame around the words. The writing of the stories can get a bit boring at times, because Bardugo puts in a lot of attention to detail. Some readers might enjoy how descriptive she is about the environment and the characters. One of my favorite stories was actually the very first story in the book. This story sort of reminds me of Beauty and The Beast, but with a twist towards the ending of it.

Although some of the stories do move relatively slow, I found this book to be pretty interesting. It is a good book to sit down and relax with, since it’s not too thrilling or anxiety-inducing like some other books. I would definitely consider sitting down by a fire on a winter day and reading these stories. I think most of them are a very good length, and each story has a moral or type of lesson behind it. For example, one of the stories features an animal that is betrayed by a human, and that story tells the story of how the animal develops trust for her, even though he shouldn’t have.