A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

“I don’t think your brother did it- and I’m going to try to prove it.” – Holly Jackson, A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder

Holly Jackson’s A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder is a captivating novel following teenage girl Pippa Fitz-Amobi as she attempts to solve a five-year-old murder. Fairview, Connecticut, is a typical American suburban town where families go to raise their kids, and abnormality is rare. That is until Sal Singh kills his girlfriend, Andie Bell, the popular high school senior.

Before Sal, Andie’s alleged killer could be convicted, tragedy struck again. Sal comes up dead as the result of suicide, fully cementing the idea that he killed Andie. Five years later and tragedy still inhabits the town. Pippa, a high school senior, casts a shadow of doubt on the murder case upon herself. Everyone believes Sal committed the murder, and no one in town is willing to help prove otherwise, but Pippa continues to leave no stone unturned in hopes of bringing in a new light.

I enjoyed A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder. Jackson was able to create a fast-paced thriller without falling into the trap of being able to see the ending from a mile away. Throughout the story, I had no idea where the plot was taking me, causing me to need more. Even though A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder is a book I would reread, the novel is far from perfect. If you are looking for a plot-driven page-turner, this book is definitely for you, but unfortunately, Jackson failed in character development. The characters seemed to fall flat, and I could not put myself in their shoes during the experiences like I had with others. Other than the issues with the characters, I fully recommend this book.