All My Rage by Sabba Tahir

All My Rage by Sabaa Tahir: 9780593202364 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

“All My Rage” by Sahara Tahir is a heart-wrenching young adult novel that portrays the struggles of two teenagers or almost young adults – Salahudin and Noor. Salahudin, a 17-year-old boy with Pakistani roots, lives with his terminally ill mother and alcoholic father in Juniper, California. Noor’s living conditions don’t look any brighter; her parents passed away when she was young and still living in Pakistan, now she lives under her uncle’s, who she has moved to California with, controlling roof. Despite their difficult circumstances, Salahudin and Noor have always had a special bond and have been each other’s support system. Both of them are considered outcasts at school, but their friendship has always helped them through tough times. However, their relationship takes a hit when they have a big argument. 

Their lives turn upside down when Salahudin’s mother passes away, leaving him to deal with her failing motel and innumerable unpaid bills, which is not an easy task with a father who is constantly drunk. Meanwhile, Noor tries to plan a life for herself outside of Juniper, but her uncle, who does not want her to have an academic future, makes it quite challenging to apply for college. 

Throughout the story, the two teenagers try to navigate their friendship amidst all these difficulties and also explore their feelings for each other, which might even be more than just friendship. However, every time they think they’ve overcome a challenge, life throws another hurdle their way.

This book tells a very dark but also realistic form of life. It shows that not all people are lucky and often can’t even help their misfortune. It deals with themes like addiction, drugs, death and violence. But it also tells about friendship, love and the experience of growing up and finding one’s place in life..

“All my Rage” relentlessly shows the harsh side of life, and it is depressing to know that more than a few teenagers must grow up in similar or even worse circumstances.

The struggles faced by the main characters, Salahudin and Noor, are heartbreaking and yet so realistic. It is a powerful reminder that life is not always fair, and sometimes things happen that are out of our control. 

Despite the dark subject matter, the book is also a source of inspiration. Salahudin and Noor demonstrate incredible resilience in the face of adversity, and their friendship is truly heartwarming. The multiple points of view also add an interesting layer to the story, allowing the reader to gain a deeper understanding of the characters and their experiences.

“All My Rage”  is written out of three alternating points of view. Noor, Salahudin and his mother Misba. Noor and Salahudin tell their point of view from the present, while Misba’s story begins in her youth in Pakistan and continues until her death in California. The multiple perspectives add an interesting layer to the story, allowing the reader to gain a deeper understanding of the characters and their experiences.This makes the book more interesting and refreshing.

Overall, I highly recommend “All My Rage” to anyone looking for a compelling and emotional read. It’s a must-read for everyone who loves realistic young-adult fiction.