Give me a Sign, by: Anna Sortino Review by: Ayesha

Give me a sign is a heartwarming book starring a 17 year old girl, name Lilah, who has hearing lose, and isn’t sure where she belongs. As she returns to a camp for the deaf and blind as a junior counselor, she begins to feel like she belongs. Isaac, a boy who is deaf also came into her life. Navigating through life at camp and being able to learn more ASL (American Sign Language) with Isaac was making Lilah feel like she’s no longer in the middle. As the summer goes on, Isaac and Lilah’s relationship grows stronger too. As the two navigate their camp duties as counselor and get through tough times, they manage to find a connection between them. It wasn’t easy for Lilah to be proud of her hearing lose, but with Isaac and her friends from camp she learns to not be ashamed to be who she is.

Give me a Sign was a door opener for me. It gave me a little peek of what deaf or hearing lose culture was life. And giving me a knowledge of the problems they face as well. It was a touching book that I loved to read. It gave me the inspiration to also learn ASL, even if it takes awhile. The characters were interesting to read about too. Since in the camp their are also blind kids or have hard vision there. So there were different types of characters, deaf, hard at hearing, blind, non-deafs, etc. Just learning the varieties of groups that there are, and how they manage life is just amazing to learn about. Give me a sign is a page turner because of the love story too. This book mostly focuses on Isaac’s and Lilah’s whole relationships, which I love. Love stories such as this are one of my favorite genres as well. Love in real life is complicated and you never know if it really is true love or not. But in books you know exactly who is going to end up together, and that no matter what they’ll stick together through thick and thin. It’s quite intriguing to read a characters love life. And lastly, my favorite part about reading Give me a Sign is the setting. People don’t pay attention to setting as much, but this particular setting gave me a warm feeling inside. I’ve always loved camp, and want to go to an overstay camp just like in the story. Fire pits, S’mores, new friends, cabins, it give off a nice, calming, and fun vibe.

Although despite all of the great value of this book, there war some down sides. First, and it will be seen in every first book of someones, the wording and structure all seemed so simple and easy too read, like reading in 6th grade was like. It didn’t have complex words, any serious plots, and seemed like it could be a told over a camp fire. Give me a Sign was an outstanding book, and I have no complaints other than that one. It really was a good love story, with amazing characters.

This book I would recommend to someone that is into love stories, and want a simple book, without any hard words and such. Someone that doesn’t want to big, dramatic plot to follow.