Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

“It wasn’t my fault. He hurt me. It wasn’t my fault. And I’m not going to let it kill me. I can grow.”- Laurie Halse Anderson, Speak

Laurie Halse Anderson’s Speak is a soul-crushing novel set in Syracuse, New York that follows teenage girl Melinda Sordino as she attempts to survive her first year of high school. Before high school Melinda was ordinary, she had a group of friends and parents who worked too much and occasionally bickered, but one summer high school party changed it all. 

After a traumatic experience, something changed in Melinda. She no longer had any friends, and everyone in high school seemed to hate her after she called the cops on the party. With no one knowing the reason for the call, Melinda began being avoided like the plague. As the novel progresses, Melinda loses herself even more. Melinda no longer goes to her classes, often hiding in an old janitor’s closet, and that is when she decides to show up. No one understands her, and she often wonders if she should speak up and tell someone what happened to her that night. The one place Melinda felt safe was in art class with her seemingly crazy art teacher. Melinda can express her emotions in a way that doesn’t involve words until finally, she can build the courage to say what happened out loud.

Out of all the books I have read, Speak is now one of my favorites. I don’t think many books deserve a 10/10 rating, but Speak is one of the few books that does. Anderson was able to create such a well-developed character that readers can relate to Melinda. The way the novel is written makes readers unaware of what happened to Melinda, using diction to hint to us what happened without saying it. I recommend Speak to anyone looking for a quick read with substance.