Hit And Run by Lurlene McDaniel

“For as long as the world spins and the earth is green with new wood, she will lie in this box and not in my arms.”

Hit and Run published in 2007 is shown through the points of view of freshman Laurie and Seniors Quin, Jeremy, and Analise.  All it takes is one night to change the course of the rest of their lives.  Quin, who had been drinking, was driving Laurie home from a party/first date when they hit what they believed to be a deer.  They later discover that what they thought to be a deer was actually Analise Bower and that she was now in a coma and on life support.  Jeremy, who was Analise’s boyfriend, spent all of the time possible by her bedside begging and praying that she just open her eyes and wake up.  Eventually, we get to see Laurie’s chilling plan forming.  She is going to blackmail Quin into dating her in exchange for her keeping quiet about their “little” accident. Quin reluctantly agrees in order to protect his reputation, as a football player and the most popular boy in school.  Neither really seems to show any guilt that they were directly responsible for almost killing a girl.

I really did not enjoy this book at all. I don’t understand how Laurie could do what she did. This was especially hard for me because I know firsthand the toll a hit-and-run takes on the family members of the victim. My uncle was killed in a hit-and-run and my family spent two whole years searching, hoping, and praying that the driver would just come forward. I was young at the time of his death but can see how it still affects them today.

I would recommend Hit and Run to more mature young readers because some of the content may be triggering. I would not recommend this book if you’re looking for a sweet book with a happy ending because Hit and Run is not it.