What I Carry

What I carry is a book about a girl named Muir who grows up in foster homes. Always jumping house to house she’s learned to pack things light. She doesn’t get emotionally attached to anyone because she knows she could leave foster home anytime. Muir has one whole year before she ages out of foster care, before she’s free and on her own, and one year to avoid everything and everyone. All of this thought changes when she stays with a  single woman on a small island off the coast of Seattle. Muir starts to break her own rules and makes close friendships, falls in love, and stand up to bullying. She learns that she doesn’t have to focus on “survival” all the time.

I recommend this book to people who like to read Realistic fiction. This book is based on real-life situations that happen to people. Being in a foster home can be scary and overwhelming, but Muir manages to make rules to help herself feel comfortable. It takes years and years but soon Muir felt comfortable to keep close friendships and feel like she’s truly home.

I truly enjoyed reading this book. It was such a good read and hard to put down. I personally tend to read books based on real-life situations because I like to be able to really connect. The only thing I could connect well is jumping house to house since my parents are split. It’s for sure easier to pack light because it’s less bags to move and unpack. This book I could picture Muirs emotions and feel them myself. I think this is an amazing read and more people should read this book.